Sunday, May 19, 2013

I Hope He Never Outgrows Snuggles


      It is the season of graduations.  Pre-school, high school, and college graduates are honored and celebrated.  Even my dear old dad is off celebrating the 50th anniversary of his high school graduation this weekend.  And yes, my little guy will be graduating to the second grade.
    
      Because I'm a sappy mommy, I spend way too much time reflecting on how much my son has grown and changed in the past few months since first grade began.  He has lost and regrown his two front teeth which has changed his face considerably.  Another tooth came out last night which adds another dimension of change to his sweet little face.
The beginning of first grade


     When he reads to me out loud I find myself staring at this morphed face.  My little baby is in those cheeks.  Those sparkly eyes are my tiny boy's.  He thinks I'm listening intently when actually I'm devising a plan that will allow him to be just like this forever. 

Late Spring - First Grade
   First grade will be over in just three weeks.  Then he'll be seven.  These days are flying way too fast and it makes my head and my heart spin.  How do I hold on this precious time?  

    I don't know that there is an answer to that.  I'll keep writing down things he said and did.  I'll keep taking pictures of the ordinary and every day, not just the special events. I'll share posts on Facebook about silly or funny things that involve him.  And mainly I'll just keep praising God for this beautiful blessing and gift and let my heart continue to melt from all the love I hold for this child. 

     And right now I'm going upstairs to help him get to sleep.  It's past ten on a school night and he's still up.  He's nonchalantly walked downstairs for a drink of water five times.  He's gotten up to tell me about something funny that happened at baseball practice.  He's gotten up to tell me about something funny that happened at school last week.  He's gotten up to tell me that his dad said he was going to give away a Hot Wheel if he got up one more time.  I'm not going to fuss.  I'm not going to insist he go to sleep right now.  I'm going to kiss him on the forehead once and on his cheek twice.  Then I'm going to snuggle with my boy until he falls asleep.  After all, he is almost seven and by then he may not want to snuggle anymore.
      

1 comment:

  1. My big boy just turned 10, and still, every night after his dad has tucked him in, he calls out, "Mom, will you come lay down with me?" And for all of those reasons, my answer is usually yes. Even though he's almost as long as I am, and I'm starting to catch glimpses of the man he will become, he's still my little boy.

    ReplyDelete